Thursday, March 3, 2011

Take advantage of Chicken on sale- if you're still hungry

Since I live pretty far out in the "exurbs" (near the wealthy folks, anyway) shopping choices are fairly slim. With the big discount stores being a 75 mile round trip from here, I would spend $12.00 in gas alone (@ today's price) to make that journey. Plus, it's just two of us here- so how much food do I really want to keep on hand?

Fortunately, there's a Hannaford close by. I've learned to watch the sales a little more closely, and I really do like chicken. So, I'll buy the split chicken breast when it's on sale, it's good bang for the buck at about $1.19 per pound. Since I have a lot of free time on my hands, here's what will become of my chicken bounty-

First, I'll bake the chicken on a sheet tray lined with aluminum foil for about 30-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. I drizzle some oil over it and hit it with whatever spices look good from the cupboard. Once the juices run clear and it's about done (slightly under), pull the chicken out and let it cool to room temperature. I separate the meat from the bone, get the majority of the meat, leave the tighter bits and refrigerate the meat while I start the chicken stock for soup. OK, I might add some prepared stock if I have it. I discard the skin.

Chicken Soup time ! Start by boiling a few cups of water in a large pot, add one bullion cube and let it dissolve. I toss in whatever veggies are in the fridge: onion, celery and carrot. This is a good way to use up some odds and ends, chop about half of what you have into small pieces, reserve, and the rest into finger size- these can go in with the broth now. After boiling for 30 minutes or so, you should start to get a nice aroma going on- check and add water to keep the volume of broth about the same.

 Now, add in the breast bones, keep boiling and adding water as needed to cover the bones- probably another hour until the bones are soft and loose meat is off. Check your seasoning- a little oregano or basil might be nice right here. Easy on the salt- it can always go in later. Let the pot cool down, and remove the bones and larger vegetable pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment